According to the World Health Organization, depression affects more than 264 million people worldwide, and is "a leading cause of disability around the world and contributes greatly to the global burden of disease." Young adults are facing so many transformative life decisions, which are only complicated by the effects of depression.
Some of the most common signs of depression in young adults are:
- Loss of interest in daily activities: You don't care anymore about former hobbies, pastimes, or social activities. You've lost your ability to feel joy and happiness.
- Sleep changes: Either insomnia, especially waking in the early hours of the morning, or oversleeping.
- Anger or irritability: Feeling agitated, restless, or even violent. Your tolerance level is low, your temper short, and everything and everyone gets on your nerves.
- Loss of energy: Feeling fatigued, sluggish, and physically drained. Your whole body may feel heavy, and even small tasks are exhausting or take longer to complete.
- Self-loathing & reckless behavior: Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. You harshly criticize yourself for perceived faults and mistakes. You engage in escapist behavior such as substance abuse, compulsive gambling or spending, process addictions, reckless driving, or dangerous sports.
The symptoms of depression can affect every aspect of a young adult's life. When these symptoms arise many young adults feel lost, directionless and/or hopeless.
At Expanse Wilderness, we address the issues of depression head-on. Our relational model and approach recognizes you as an individual, not as a diagnosis or behavior. Call us today at (800) 685-3059 for more information on how we can help you heal from depression.